Monday, June 14, 2010

Never Too Late to Start Over




I woke up this morning, sleepy but determined to make it to the gym to work out. Having gone twice last week, I feel like I'm getting back into the swing of things and don't want to lose that momentum. Summer is calling, and her hot, humid arrival also heralds the season of shorts and bathing suits and all sorts of articles of clothing which leave me desirous of less jiggley thighs. So, up I rose at 5:05 a.m. (I always allow myself one "snooze"), outfitted myself in the appropriate workout duds, and promptly walked smack into a wall in our hallway. Because the outside light had been turned off (Hub and I often war over this- I turn it on, he turns it off), the hallway was as dark as a tomb this morning. After cursing profusely and checking my nose to make sure it wasn't broken, I headed out the door. As I headed toward the end of our street I wondered if running would cause my nose to swell further, but decided the risk was worhwhile. I waited and waited and waited for the red light to change, then noticed that it was cycling around without giving me a green. At that point, I began to wonder if the powers that be were trying to tell me something. Was a crazed gunman going to attack the YMCA this morning? Should I turn the car around and head back home to my warm bed and my darkened hallway? I jammed a right turn into the intersection and made a u-turn, continuing to the gym.

After the offbeat start to the day, I'm happy to report that I had a great workout. I ran two miles and even managed to clock about 30 minutes with the weights without hurting myself or anyone else. I returned home with a much better outlook than the one with which I'd left, and I've no doubt this attitude will carry me through whatever else the day has waiting in the wings for me. Exercise always takes the edge off my tendency for depression; it leaves me with more patience and tends to grind away all of my rough edges. I'm glad I remembered that, at any moment, we can begin our day anew. A few mishaps do not a day make.

Now, off to have the days first cup of coffee!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do ya think???