Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Grace in the Tempest




"He stilled the storm to a whisper;
the waves of the sea were hushed.
They were glad when it grew calm,
and He guided them to their desired haven.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for His
unfailing love
and His wonderous deeds for mankind."
Psalm 107:29-31

Irene will most likely be providing South Florida with lots of rain and wind later today into tomorrow.  Following that, she is expected to move upward toward North Carolina, making landfall on Saturday at some point.  As I have family and friends in North Carolina (though not living on the coast), my thoughts and prayers will be with them over the next few days.  As far as my own plans to fly to Massachusetts with Sparkle Fairy, we will have to wait and see what transpires.  My hope is that we can still travel as planned, but, whatever happens, I will have to accept the situation as it presents itself.   Earlier today I received correspondence from a friend in North Carolina who was concerned with plans her husband had made to fly up there for the weekend (he works here in Florida still) being waylaid, further reminding me that I'm not the only person around here who is being made uncomfortable by the hurricane.  The most important concern for all of us is that we come out of this thing with everyone safe and sound.  Having a more reasonable perspective about the situation is a beautiful thing.

Last night I heard somebody say that God is good all the time, that He isn't the one who places stumbling blocks on our paths.  I agree with the first part, but lately I'm not so sure about the second.  I will stop short of stating that I think He creates terrors such as the Holocaust or 9/11; I believe those sorts of events are caused by damaged human beings caught in the grip of their own hatred and delusions, and I believe that God mourns alongside us when extreme horrors such as these occur.  Maybe, sometimes, He does gift us with challenges to our comfort and sense of well being, though.  Is it possible that He desires us to grow through such life events, that He wants us to turn to Him, to seek guidance while the storm is whipping our bodies about and we're desperate for even a glimmer of peace?  Since two months ago, when I was suddenly struck with a mad desire to pick up my Bible again and give the God of monotheism another try (I honestly cannot say what brought this change about, as I was happily trudging down the road of Paganism and enjoying the sights prior to suddenly being struck by a spiritual bolt of lightning) I've searched for answers from the Word whenever trouble has reared its ugly head.  What I've discovered is that, in these moments of sorrow and discomfort, I search with a greater gusto for words that will provide a balm, for guidance that will allow me to grow through the storms, for growth that will make me a better person.  Just over the past two days, I've discovered how self centered I can be, and I was fairly horrified at my own ranting and raving.  By last night, I was quite embarrassed at the Facebook posts I wrote lamenting about how much I don't want to be in Florida.  While I really do have a deep desire to move home, I feel these posts to be more fitting for a teenager than a grown woman.  That said, I've met teenagers who handle adversity better than I have over the past two days.  When serious changes need to be created in our lives, one must see the possibility in these alterations being made manifest and then begin to take positive action.  Nothing was ever changed by belly-aching to everyone who will listen.  In fact, though a bit of complaining might provide us with fresh insights and ideas from those willing to take us on in our moments of darkness, excessive moaning usually serves to discourage us further.  Indeed, I'd begun to sink myself the other day.  It was only when I looked up searching for the light that I was able to swim out of the depth of depression I'd begun to create for myself.  I'm quickly tired when flailing about in the sea of despair.  The difference between now and a few weeks ago is that  I refuse to let myself drown when there's a hand willing to pull me out. 

And THAT is grace in the tempest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do ya think???