Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Into the Rush of the Day

Yesterday felt like somewhat of a failure to me- I had so much to do but couldn't seem to get moving. Monday-itis perhaps? I feel more positive today and am so into the idea of speaking affirmatively to myself, as opposed to moaning and groaning that I'm never going to get anything done. I do believe that self talk has the power to bring about unhappy results if one doesn't take care to speak to oneself the way she would an old friend. Sometimes, I need to be firm, always I need to be straightforward. I don't, however, need to call myself names and doom myself to fail in areas where, in the past, I may not have excelled the way I wanted to or hoped to. Each day is a new beginning of sorts, right?

So, today I go forward still unsure as to how our Thanksgiving is going to progress. Hubster asked a few people over yesterday, but they all have previously made commitments and it seems we might be alone this year. He is considering extending invitation to one of the guys who works for him, but the fellow has a tendency to get drunk and become a bit loud, and we're not sure if it will be best to chance that happening. The man is in a state of semi abstinence right now, trying to get his life together, but he's not unlike a tennis ball perched atop a steeple. He could roll at any moment, and once he does the momentum tends carry him along very quickly. Such is the disease of alcoholism, unfortunately. Without help, all one needs is a slight wind to topple him over the edge; so far, said guy has not sought out the help of AA or any other group that could assist him in his endeavor to stay sober, and it's very, very tough to walk that road alone.

Today I will be engaged in food shopping for the week and homeschooling with our little one. I'm grateful to have the resources for both today, and am focused on that gratefulness in earnest. Perhaps I'll talk with Little One about the Pilgrims and the Native Americans who helped them when they first arrived in the new land. This time of year is also a good time to discuss abundance and perseverance, sharing and giving. Making construction paper turkeys with real feathers glued on is also an option; I believe that learning should be fun and engaging, and my daughter needs breaks in between the serious business of learning how to read, add, subtract, etc.! I have meditation group to attend later, and I'm looking forward to that. There are always great people there, and having a little time to wind down and just "be" is important to my mental and physical well being. Here at home, it's difficult to find quiet time. There is always a doggie hitting the outside door to be let back inside, a cat jumping onto the table where I have my paperwork/books spread out, a drink of juice to be retrieved, or a sandwich, or books to be read. This is all great stuff, the music of my everyday life. I cherish all of it (as well as the many, many things I didn't list here), especially since I'm well aware of how fleeting time can be, of how quickly everything can change for good or not so good. Still, we need to remember to take time to breathe, to replenish our energy so that we have a continuing flow of the stuff. When we have plenty of energy to share, we can enjoy our lives more, and engage more effectively.

One, two, three, deep breathe. And into the day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do ya think???