Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Blessed Winter Solstice / Yule

Well, it's that time of year again, and I hope everyone is having a beautiful holiday season whatever tradition you are celebrating. The malls are once again packed to the gills, frenzied parents are running about for those last minute "perfect" gifts, and most of us are trying to keep some sense of calm inside amongst the chaos. At times like this, it's important to remember what it is we are really celebrating. Most of the holidays of this season are celebrating the increase of light in our world, with the Winter Solstice and Yule celebrating the rebirth of the sun to our world. From now until summer returns, the days will gradually offer us more light and warmth, though here in Florida I've been ecstatic over experiencing temperatures low enough to give honor to our wonderful fireplace. By this August I was worn out by the Africa hot swelter, and winter has arrived in our home with much fanfare and appreciation.

Aside from a Yule party that I went to with my daughter (given by the wonderful women who run her children's spiritual group), this witch has not done too much in the way of Yule festivities. We have a gorgeous tree taking honor in a corner of our living room, lights decking the eves and fences, various ornaments and pine boughs sparkling about the inside of our home, and my altar has been decorated with sparkley red altar cloth and various items appropriate for the Winter Solstice/Yule, so the appearance related things have been done. Tomorrow we leave for New Orleans to visit my husband's family, so I've been busy doing laundry and trying to get ready to leave. I'd hoped to have a small Winter Solstice ritual here at home, but it was not to be, and I don't expect I'll be engaging any while we are away. I will, however, be saying a few prayers to the Goddess upon takeoff tomorrow evening. I hate hate hate flying, and the past two experiences flying into New Orleans were, shall we say, a bit rough. Still, I'll be happy to be visiting this magical city again, and visiting with family (to include one new baby) in Lafayette and the surrounding areas.

I hope everyone had a blessed Winter Solstice today, and that whatever holiday you celebrate, the season finds you well, prosperous in all the ways you want to be (harming none, of course), and content with whatever life is offering you today!


1 comment:

What do ya think???