Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

My own Dad died in 1989, although some days it seems like it was just yesterday. He was the best-always there for me; when he was alive I always felt like someone was there believing in me, even when I had trouble believing in myself. He was gone too young and too quickly, and although I sometimes feel him around me, I miss having his strong arms around me, being able to pick up the phone to call him. Sometimes I still forget that I can't call him anymore. I'll be in the middle of some situation in which I need the advice that I know only he could give, or I'll be celebrating some wonderful event, and I'll move toward the telephone, only to remember that there's no phone line to the other side. At least, not that I've discovered. Sometimes he comes to me in dreams. At times, I've felt his presence right before something traumatic has occurred, and I've felt that he was around to comfort me. After we lost him, I remember thinking that hopefully some day I would be able to give my own little girl a Daddy who is as awesome as he was. Today, that wish has come true. Soon after our daughter was born, I realized that my prayer had been answered, and I whispered a little thank you to the Great Mother.

A couple of days ago I stood in front of the Father's Day card display in Borders with my daughter. As we selected a card, I felt the tears well in my eyes, as they do every Father's Day, no matter how many years accumulate between the day of my Dad's death and this holiday. My daughter picked out a beautiful card-one with a little girl on the front that reminds me of her. The sweetness of her joy at selecting the perfect card for her Daddy dried the tears, and bathed me in the joy of blessing. I'm so grateful for my husband and daughter.

Happy Father's Day today to all of the Dads out there, including my Dad and Grandfather.

I miss you, Dad. Thanks for everything you've given me. I love you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do ya think???