Friday, May 18, 2012

Child of the Full Moon




"You've spent your life in the middle of things, whether it's between people who oppose each other, ideas that oppose each other, or places that are very different. You're very aware of perspectives outside the norm and good at anticipating how different people will see a situation. You value second opinions, because they give you a feeling of balance. You don't have a single group of friends and the people you spend time with may not have a lot in common with each other." (Characteristic of one born under a full moon.)

I discovered this site through the website of a woman who I truly admire  (the site is Spacefem.com) and was amused to discover that this really is pretty true.  I am blessed to enjoy the company of a diverse group of people of varying faiths, etc., I tend to be the mediator of peace in my family, and I almost will almost never accept the opinion of one person when something important is at stake.  My spiritual beliefs run far and wide, I don't honestly trust the teachings of any one book or religious leader, but I do believe there is a spiritual truth that runs through most faiths.  I feel the most comfortable with nature and the spiritual being I find there, and with the Goddess/God concept.  These things have brought me an enormous amount of comfort over the past month and have helped me to grow exponentially over the past few years.  In the Goddess I finally found my voice, and I wonder how it is that any faith which has relegated religion only to a masculine form has been able to satisfy the majority of women.   While I understand that this concept does work for some, it has always been a bit troubling to me.  That said, religion fascinates me, and I love talking about it, studying it, discussing the subject with other people.  I respect the beliefs of other people and very much enjoy learning about how they relate to a Higher Power, what rituals and traditions they follow.   I cringe only when I begin to hear words of exclusivity; claims of one way to redemption, condemnation to hell if one doesn't follow a prescribed path, and the idea that a murder who has lived his whole life terrorizing others will go to heaven by accepting Jesus as his Lord and savior but my Jewish Grandfather, who lived his life doing good for others and seeing the good in everyone (including said murderer) will not seem ridiculous to me.  Isn't our God more intelligent than that? It make no sense whatsoever that a God who understands human nature and our tendency to believe what our experiences reveal to us would operate this way. 

While I'm prattling, I wonder who, exactly, defines what is "normal"? So many of the people who I find to be interesting, fun, deeply spiritual,  and intelligent seem to fall outside of this perameter.  And, as I find myself walking into the forest of middle age, I care less and less what others opinions about "normal" are when they conflict with my own.  They may have their own beliefs, and I'm allowed to have mine, but I'm done with apologizing profusely when what I believe offends someone else.   I believe strongly in peace, justice, mercy, living as much as possible in harmony with the earth and stars, harming none unless I'm defending myself or someone else and harm is the only way to do that. 

 I hope that I will always be aware of "perspectives outside the norm".  This awareness had lead me into meeting some wonderful people over the past couple of years, and I look forward to meeting more and to developing closer relationships with some of those with whom I presently share company.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do ya think???