Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Seething Seething...

"Say a prayer, try to meditate, and no matter what happens, today will be a good day anyway," said a near and dear friend. I tried to do this. I really tried to do this. No matter what I did yesterday, however, nothing seemed to be going the right way. The only real moments of peace I felt were while I was at the gym furiously working out, trying to banish any and all of the negative energy that seemed to be glomming about me like some evil amoeba, and when I was looking at my daughter's cute little face, her hair hanging in two braids on either side of her head. These moments aside, I just couldn't seem to stay happy yesterday and I felt guilty about that, guilty that during one of the most wonderful times of my life I still can't be one hundred percent ecstatic.

The day began with the incessant ringing of my husband's cell phone. At around 6:30am, his employees began calling. I have no idea why people find it necessary to phone someone at such an hour, a time when I am just yawning my way back to life. My head has no room for patience at that time of day; I found myself becoming more agitated with each brinnnngggggg of the cellular. I sipped my coffee and attempted to read my morning books, all the while hearing snippets of conversation, "No I don't want you bringing someone I don't know over to work on my house..." "Yeah...um hmmm...no..." "Okay, I'll come pick you up...." Needless to say, concentrating was impossible and I've no idea what I read. I told myself that the day would get better and forged ahead.

Just before leaving for the YMCA with my daughter, my husband's guys showed up to work on our new office space. It seemed that so and so did, in fact, show up for work. I waved them a less than enthusiastic hello and commenced to gathering up my little one and our belongings to head to the gym. On my way out, I noticed that one of them was smoking a cigarette, but I told myself that it was okay, the back windows all were open and the smoke would just drift outside. When we arrived home, the first scent that hit my nostrils upon opening the front door was cigarette smoke. R's fingers flew up to her own little nose as she wrinkled it and commented that it was stinky in our house. Already frustrated, I felt tears spring to my eyes. I'd spent the past two weeks attempting with great success to irradicate the old, abandoned house smell from our new residence, and now these guys were filling it with a smell that makes my stomach turn (we reformed smokers are wretched, aren't we???). After calming myself a bit, I asked the guys not to smoke in the house anymore. I said that I had no problem with them smoking outside, but inside the house was not going to work for me. Okay, crisis averted, moving forward.......

After doing some phonics and math work with R, we went food shopping. I was looking forward to the women's meeting I attend on Monday nights and felt that if I could start dinner early enough I'd be able to make the meeting on time without the need for rushing around like a woman possessed. Shortly after I pulled into the drive, a girl friend of mine pulled in behind my car, stopping by for an impromptu visit. I was happy to see her and we chatted away. And away. And away. Before I knew it, the time had flown to quarter past six, and I was rushing to cook dinner and get it onto on the table. Needless to say, I did not make my meeting. By the time I was ready to leave home it was already 8pm, and the meeting was over at 8:30.

At least storytime went okay.......

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more on the smoking issue. Hate it with a vengence and have to tell anyone who thinks they can light up anywhere near my house! Of course, I do have a smoking spirit that visits once in a while ..

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone gets one of those days at some point in their lives. And the smoking problem..ughh I agree I hate the smell and I especially dislike when someone smokes around me. Hope your days get a little brighter!

    ReplyDelete

What do ya think???