Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What to Do...

My husband just called, having received a phone call from the friend I mentioned in the post below. Apparently, she is hanging out at a convenient store near the beach; she is homeless and was calling him for help, but he's working and is just generally tired of dealing with this sort of thing. Lots of people are having this reaction, as she (I will call her Holly for the sake of posting, but her real name, I feel, should remain anonymous) has received help in the past from many, including her friends and family, only to turn around a week or a month or a few months later and drink/use again. No one is sure what to do anymore, but I feel horrible about not doing anything. This girl is like a sister to me. It tears me up inside to think of her sitting alone on a sidewalk someplace. I have a small child and I have to think of her well being before I consider the needs of anybody else. That's the crux of this situation for me; I can't do anything that will jeopardize my child's mental or physical health. This leaves me, in this case, with few options. I can't bring her into our home. I can't go to her right now, by myself with my daughter. I can't even call her, since I don't have a phone number for her. At best, I could drive down to the beach and try to find her, but then what??? If I can't take her anyplace, what can I do? I spend lots of time talking about how I've met few people here in South Florida who are real friends, or who are even real friend material. There are a few people in whom I place great faith and trust, but they are like jewels in beach sand-precious and difficult to find. There are lots of sparkly stones but not many gems. I've put lots of prayers out there; I hope that one of them gives me (or Holly) the answer that's needed to truly help her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do ya think???