Monday, July 20, 2009

Once Again, a New Week Begins

It's funny how once one hits the age of around 35, time begins to fly like a hawk after a mouse. The weeks flip by like pages in a book, and suddenly you wake up and you're 40, and you wonder if you'll be able to accomplish all of those things in life you spoke so proudly of when you were the tender age of 20. The good side of this is that, if you're lucky, you become possessed of the feeling that you'd better get your act together and stop messing around. You realize what a gift each day is and you decide to get off your butt, stop complaining (so much), and get out into the world. I'm finding that spiritual books help a lot-I'm currently reading The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz and I highly recommend this book. Of course, the books only help if you take what you read and put it into action. Life should be a verb, rather than a noun.

I'm still high off the ritual that I attended last Thursday. The energy of being around other people with similar beliefs to mine, of raising that energy in a circle, releasing it, gathering together in a sort of group prayer, and then grounding was something to behold. I'm eager to attend the next study group on Thursday night. The key for me is to understand and to continue to understand that this sort of community is something I truly need. I tend to do things that make me feel good, that are aligned with the path I want to take, then sabotage myself by deciding that other things are more important and blowing them off. Before long, I'm left with a feeling of resentment caused only by my own inability to commit to doing things that are good for me. I'm not sure why I do this, but I'm tired of doing it and I'm now committed to the changes that I desperately want and need to bring to my life. Or, maybe I should say that I'm committed to the work that it takes to get there, to the dedication.

I woke up yesterday morning after nine hours of sleep, amazed by how much of a difference getting a full night of shut eye makes in my energy levels. I'd been a bit concerned by my lack of energy during the week, but now I see that I'm simply not sleeping enough. I was able to accomplish the somewhat daunting task of cleaning our house and attacking the huge pile of laundry that was looming in the closet of our bedroom (the house cleaning took about two hours, while the laundry turned out to be an all day affair), as well as various other necessary tasks, all without feeling like I needed to take a nap at 2pm. Wow!!! Last night I didn't sleep very well; my sinuses were acting up. I'm going to the gym anyway, and am sticking to the schedule I mentally laid out last night. This means that I need to get off the computer now, and wake up the little one. She won't be happy, but, hey, it's 8am!!!! I need to get her onto a schedule as well. I keep reading that kids thrive on schedules and my attempts to actually establish a consistent one since the day she was born have been largely unsuccessful. Today, however, begins a new week and there is something magical about Mondays. They have the power to transform the whole week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do ya think???